Accounting Overview: Quick Facts
Thinking of a career in accounting? See if your skills and accounting add up to a good fit.
What You'll Do
- Prepare and examine financial records
- Organize and maintain accurate records
- Ensure that financial statements comply with laws and regulations
- Compute taxes owed, prepare tax returns and ensure prompt payment
- Assess financial operations
- Advise ways to reduce costs, enhance revenues and improve profits
Proper financial planning is a key to the success of every business. In today’s business world, accuracy is more important than ever. Accountants do much more than untangle messes at tax time. They help companies and organizations to meet the requirements and standards set by the government and by their industries. Accredited accountants are always needed to keep individuals’ and businesses’ financial affairs in flawless order. If you’ve thought of becoming an accountant, learn which personal and professional traits you’ll need to succeed in this career.
|You are...||You should have...|
|Computer savvy||Strong math skills|
|Good with numbers||Attention to details|
|An analytic thinker||Clerical skills|
|Enterprising||The ability to focus|
|Goal oriented||Desire to collaborate|